Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Contemporary World - WWI

Okay, so this wasn't for any of my COMM classes. I wrote it for my humanities class, and since I love history, I thought I'd post it and share it. I think it's sort of interesting. I got an A on it.

A lot contributed to the beginning of World War I and there may or may not have been necessary reasons to start a war. After a series of events and formations of several alliances, the military isolation of France, the Congress of Berlin in 1878 in which Otto von Bismarck failed to try to keep the peace between Russia and Austria-Hungary, the fight between Russia and the Ottoman Empire over control of the Balkans, and the First Balkan war, World War I happened.
In 1914, Archduke Francis Ferdinand was assassinated. Following his assassination, Great Britain, France and Russia teamed up to for an alliance called the Triple Entente. Meanwhile, the Ottoman Empire joins the Central Powers, which was made up of Austria and Germany. At this point, wars were popping up all over Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and some parts of East Asia (p. 879), thus starting World War I.
World War I was probably going to happen anyway, no matter who started it. From the looks of things, it seemed like everybody was fighting over everything. Countries were egging on each other, Germany was deliberitely trying to start fights, France was an extremely hostile country with military isolation, and the fight between Russia, a gargantuan empire, and the Ottoman Empire over the Balkans - any one of those issues would have exploded into a war. One might think that these problems could be solved with communication and comprimise, but sometimes in situations where two countries are fighting over land (eg. Russia and the Ottoman Empire over the Balkans) just talking through something is a lot harder. A country can't just be divided between two countries - so that could have started a war between Russia and the Ottoman Empire, plus their allies. On the other hand, while France with no allies, they could have easily taken out their anger from that on another one of those countries simply for revenge. That would have started a war between that country and France, who had no allies for a while. The hostility of countries that don't get their way, for example, Germany when they wanted the piece of jungle in Morocco that France owned, can start a war just by the countries around them going over there to try to stop them from starting any extreme fights with anybody.
In my opinion, I think that some sort of war was inevitable. I know it's sort of a pessimistic way of thinking, but it was going to happen sometime somewhere anyway, and there really wasn't anything anybody could do about it. World peace has never existed on earth - people have been fighting each other since the beginning of the human race for dominance, and I think that's just something that nobody has any control over.

No comments:

Post a Comment