Thursday, October 1, 2009

copyeditting and Bad speling

I started writing a story in the beginning of March this year. It started off as just a project to see if I could develop characters, but before I knew it, it had a plot and everything. This is partially relevant to what I found in the book that you made us read (thanks a lot, Doc...).

The assignment was to find something in that chapter that we're going to use at some point in our lives. Like, for news writing or for assignments or whatever else we're supposed to write about at any given time in our lives.

Chapter 5 of the book, on page 73, has a part on it called Standard copy editing and proofreading marks. In that section, it shows all the common mistakes that people tend to make when writing news stories, or anything else for that matter. It's intention was to show the reader the common marks used for editing and proofreading (obviously), but it also shows common mistakes we might make.

"headed for for approval" Above the second 'for' there's a curly-Q telling us that it's a word repeat. I've found myself doing that a couple times, if I get stuck on an idea, take a break in the middle of a sentence, then get back to it, only to accidently repeat the word.

"weapons of masss destruction" That one just has a curly-Q over the third S in 'mass'. Another common error if we're typing a bit too fast.

Here are some mistakes that I find myself making quite frequently...

"the Mayor vetoed" The M in 'mayor' should be lowercase.
"forty miles from town" replace 'forty' with '40' (which is one of those things that confuses the Hell out of me!)
"lost in Atlatna" That's one of those things that happens when you type too fast too. The order of letters get mixed up, and sometimes it's hard to catch if it doesn't autocorrect itself.
"Bedford Falls city council" City Council should be capitalized.

So yeah. That's my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment